Continuing our IWD blog post series, meet Senior AML Compliance Analyst to our AML and Compliance team, Charlie Jordaan:
1. Why did you want to pursue a career in law?
I actually did my undergrad in business management, but had business law as an elective and thoroughly enjoyed it. Straight out of university I went into AML Compliance and have loved it ever since. I enjoy the systematic yet every changing dynamic of AML. There has been a few large leaps in the world of Risk and Compliance in recent years which adds a complexity to the industry that I really enjoy.
2. Which women have influenced you and why (this can be someone famous through to a family member)?
My gran! My gran had a very unique outlook on life and taught me that nothing is out of reach. Seeing the challenges she overcame, and with such grace, inspired me every day to be a better version of myself. Her pride in me has always motivated me to push for my goals and believe in myself.
3. What is the most memorable moment in your career so far?
Would have to be the time I set the fire alarm off at my previous office from warming up waffles in the toaster at lunch! I had to run through 3 floors of a large fancy building letting everyone know it is a false alarm. Safe to say waffles were never brought to work again 😊
4. If you could be any heroine for a day (from film, TV, books or otherwise), who would it be?
Captain Marvel – who wouldn’t want to fly around space for the day?
5. On International Women’s Day, what is the most important message you want to send out to young women starting out in their careers?
Never forget your worth and back yourself 100%. Your journey will always take you where you are meant to be.